Virtual Laboratory Work - Caustification of Soda Solution
Virtual laboratory work features
Laboratory works on Chemical Engineering require work fulfillment for a long period of time – 3 or 4 academic hours. Computer analogs provide high learning effectiveness with simultaneous essential process time reducing.
- The computer version of the lab “Caustification of soda solution” simulates the real laboratory work in all consecutive stages. It provides for all processes being carried out in interactive mode, since the student does all the work himself and gets an objective grade.
- The virtual lab includes an access-test, calculation of reagent consumption coefficients, direct execution of caustification, filtration and precipitate washing illustrated with animations in Shockwave Flash format, technological calculation of caustification degree and final defense testing. As a result the student gets a grade and prints out his calculation report and a dependency graph.
- The lab can be performed in one of three languages according to the learning language – Russian, Kazakh or English.
Learning Role Game
Chemical-technological systems (CTS) development and justification of optimal technological mode
The learning game contents:
- Chemical-technological systems development. The structure of CTS models
The task for the learning game “CTS models development and justification the optimal technological mode of sulphuric acid production”
- The concept of chemical-technological system
- Basic stages of CTS development
- Description and structure of CTS models
- Types of technological connections of CTS elements
The order of the learning game performance
- The problem situation (case) description
- The aim of the learning game
- Tasks for the learning game
Student subgroups play the role of different subdivision specialists in a Research Institute which would prove the effectiveness of the chosen scheme and then accept a common decision. As a result of this case discussion technologists would make themselves work result presentations.
Total assessment of student’s work takes into account the activity of participants, work coordination in subgroups, technological competence when schemes making up, new decisions of problem questions, skills to analyze situation, to estimate alternative decisions and to find justified arguments when conclusion defending.
3.0 BY SA applies to all content on Starfish.