About Christine O'Connor
Affiliation: Dublin Institute of Technology, Ireland
I am a Chemistry third level lecturer teaching first year to final year for over 14 years. I have a PG Cert and PG Diploma in Third Level Learning and Teaching. I am currently persuing an MSc in Applied e-Learning part time.
My teaching interests are implementing innovative teaching methods and ICT to support chemistry learning and teaching at third level. In particular I am interested in scaffolding the transition from second level into thrid level. I have exeperience in design/ implementation and evaluation of context/ project based laboratories. More recently I am looking at the use of on-line assessment processes for formative feedback with large first year class groups using PeerWise and the VLE. I have experience with wiki's, discussion boards and other interactive mechanisms. I am happy to share and learn from others.
Relevant publications about university teaching and learning
- C. M. O'Connor and H. Hayden (2008) Contextualising Nanotechnology in Chemistry Education, Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 9, 35.
- Christine O’Connor, Claire McDonnell, Michael Seery, (2007) ‘Continuous Improvement in e-Learning: Investigating the Effect and Impact of Our WebCT Chemistry Support Initiative (CSI) and Implications for Further Enhancement of the Virtual Learning Environments (VLEs) Developed’, EdTech 2007, conference proceedings, May 2007.
- C Mc Donnell, C O'Connor and MK Seery, (2007) Developing practical chemistry skills by means of student-driven problem based learning mini-projects, Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 8(2), 130 - 139.
- C. M. O'Connor, (2006) Implications of mass education on chemistry higher education", Level 3, (4), August 2006.
- C. M. O'Connor (2006) Designing curriculum and assessment to promote effective learning in Chemistry in Higher Education", Level 3, (4), August 2006.
3.0 BY SA applies to all content on Starfish.